The Town of Enfield, Connecticut is a suburb located 18 miles north of Hartford, Connecticut and is home to over 44,000 residents with 32 public buildings over an area of 1.4 million square feet. As one of the few towns with a central network supporting all functions of the municipality, as well as public safety and schools, it was critical for the network to be highly available, highly secure, and easy-to-use. Enfield evaluated Alcatel, Cisco, Extreme Networks, Force10, and Hewlett Packard; ultimately selecting the Extreme Networks solution that allowed them to keep their costs low by utilizing their existing network gear, while still delivering the advantages and scalability of SDN.
Benefits of the new network solution include:
- Optimized network access and bandwidth control
- Transparent visibility and ease-of-management
- Increased network security
- Operational efficiencies and cost savings
- Enhanced user experience with on-demand network access