The Internet of Things (IoT) is having a profound impact in every industry and healthcare is no exception. From remote monitoring systems to smart sensors to medical device integration, connected technologies have become more pervasive in healthcare. And this is for good reason. IoT has the potential to deliver better patient care, improve operational efficiency and drive down healthcare costs. However, at the same time, IoT poses the challenge of needing new requirements for cybersecurity and patient data privacy.
Consider the statistics:
- Nearly 60% of healthcare organizations have introduced IoT devices into their facilities
- 87% of healthcare organizations plan to implement IoT technology by 20191
- Nearly 20% of organizations have observed at least one Internet of Things (IoT)-based attack in the past three years.
Extreme Defender for IoT (formally Extreme Surge) is a unique, award-winning solution, that delivers security for end points which have limited or even no embedded security capabilities. It is especially targeted to aging wired devices; especially medical devices, that need to roam around a room, a building or even a campus.
It works with a customer’s existing security infrastructure (NAC, firewalls, etc.) to provide multilayered security directly at the IoT device. And it can be deployed over any network infrastructure to enable secure IoT management without significant network changes. Defender for IoT secures medical and other connected devices in a couple of ways:
- Applies profiles directly at the IoT device that ensure that the device operates according to expected behavior
- Controls IoT device attachment and access to the network
- Isolates groups of IoT devices into secure zones or clinical segments