Best known as creators of the Muppets and Sesame Street characters, The Jim Henson Company has been an established leader in family entertainment for more than 50 years. As The Jim Henson Company pushes the boundaries of innovation, it was coming up against the limits of traditional storage networks. Both traditional and digital puppetry generates terabytes (TBs) of video footage. Each day, hours of footage must be downloaded to servers from a disc attached to the video camera. This process could take up to eight hours. When upgrading their network, The Jim Henson Company chose an Extreme VDX Switch solution and by using a technique known as Network Attached Memory, the storage enables data delivery of 40 Gbps directly to the network.
Benefits of the new network solution include:
- Reduced data download time from eight hours to less than 30 minutes
- Increased production efficiency by enabling multiple editors to work simultaneously
- Increased lead times and achieved higher visual and editorial quality
- Dramatically improved products’ time to market
- Enabled spontaneous creativity with a real-time collaborative environment
- Built a foundation featuring simple deployment and high scalability for future expansion